This site is super-new. I'm still building it and setting it up.
Click here to read URB's first post, which really doesn't tell you too much about me.
But, worry not, all will be revealed in time. And I do mean all. (OK, not really.)

Thursday, August 13, 2009

Behold! The wonder of technology!


Yesterday begat my first long run since the marathon, but it also marked a huge upgrade of my training tools. I broke out my new Dick Tracy Garmin GPS watch, strapped it on and took off.

I had been wavering between the Forerunner 305 and 405, but when the 305 went on sale for less than half the price of the other one, I made the call and told Mrs. Tola it would be a nice early birthday gift. Now I just have to figure out how to use the dang thing.

The watch kept track of my time, pace, distance -- all handy information. Not bad. When I had time later, I intertransconfigurized the thing to work with my laptop (you guessed it -- USB cord) and "supposably" had access to tons of great data about my run.

Umm, not quite.

So far, all I've been able to see are some not-so-useful graphs of pace, distance, elevation. I can't quite seem to find anything about any splits. Maybe I need to manually keep track of those. Maybe I need to do something called "reading" involving a so-called "owner's manual." Or maybe I need to temper my expectation that my Garmin would be up there in the sliced-bread league of useful things. (Let's face it, that's a tough standard. Who doesn't like sliced bread?)

More bad news: The Garmin said my 13.1-mile course, which I had recently suspected of being more like 12.9 miles, is actually 12.56 miles. Jeez, talk about making a bad first impression. First, you're not 100% intuitive to use, then you're chopping away at my acccomplishments. (That's right, that's 3 C's.) On the plus side, I did run this course nearly 8 minutes faster than in my leadup to San Francisco. More detailed numbers will come if and when I can get Garmin to spit 'em out.

For now, any Garmin tips are welcomed, and I'll keep wearing the thing while I try to learn to use it. That'll be me with the giant watch. The yellow trenchcoat and fedora are on order.

No comments: